Nigerian Artist Promotes Folklore With Unique Lamp Radio

I get so many Facebook messages from some "picture less" people, bearing names that you can't really tell the origin. I have so many of them in my inbox. They bear funny names like Tessy Kuru, John Palamos, Taim Radi, Ebertha Maestre and Starr Welch. They start with a simple "Hi", and when you respond, the next message you get from them is something like this: "Please I am not really regular on Facebook, could you please send a mail to me on dadada so, I can then respond with my pictures." Na wetin? Did I ask for your picture? Well I understand that they are all fraudsters but I just like to taunt them and they leave after a while. 

The scenario above is what happened to me while searching for the contact of James Olloh. I sent him a message on Facebook, and after two days without getting a response, I went through his contacts, saw someone bearing same surname with him and sent a message to the person asking for James' contact. Hehehehe, five hours later I got a response from the man, who happens to be the younger brother to James Olloh, saying: "How am I sure you are not one of these scammers all over the place...." Now, its not his fault, that is how internet scammers are spoiling business for the genuine ones.
To cut a long story short, he gave me the contact and we became good friends. In fact, at the opening of the exhibition, he recognized and called me first.

This is a feature story about James Olloh, the man with the talking lamps, lamps that can illuminate and at the same time tell us stories. He has integrated technology into culture. Since the fast life no longer gives us the chance to tell our kids stories about the tortoise and co, the art keepers lamp is her to help us do that. Jimi Solanke of the famous "Story-land" series did the voicing, you will definitely love his renowned baritone voice.
Mr Olloh also had other pot and mask inspired lamps, masks that were carved from the beginning by himself and his team. The lamps are quite affordable and very unique too. Drop a message in the comments section for his contact if you are interested.

Thinking back now, I miss the cunny little tortoise and all his schemes to get things the fast way and all to himself too. Thank God we always had a moral to learn at the end of each of those stories. What was your favourite tortoise story while growing up?

Peace to you all.

Click here for video in English as used by eNCA

Click here for the video in Arab


Checking out the lamps
Lamps in pots
Jimi Solanke and fans
Folklore lamp
Exhibition
Lamps
Carving of masks
Carved masks with frames for lamp shield
Cutting of lamp shield
James Olloh putting the talking lamp on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwa seeks to restore our forgotten folk-tale tradition

Rare Super Blood Moon By Midnight Today

Ending the long walk in the desert; A story of modern day slavery