Kayaking in Lagos

 I spent the first 21 years of my life in Port Harcourt, Rivers state...I mean "RIVERS" state, so you would think I should know how to swim with all of that water body surrounding me? Naaaaa, I cannot even stand in a gutter.
   Then I had my son, he is all daring and ready to go. At 7 or 8, he said he wanted to join the swimming class in his school. Trust me to say a big NO. But hubby felt and my sister Ruth said if he really wanted to do it, I should let him and not use my own fears to overshadow him. Reluctantly, I agreed.
     So when I came across this Kayak story via the #NothingToDoInLagos Instagram handle, I temporarily forgot my fears and could not wait to tell the story. Hahahahha, your guess is as good as mine. I flopped big time. Now, the plan was to use the double kayak. That way I will do the paddling while my colleague films the other kayakers. I spent less than 20 seconds in the water and I was screaming to leave. The kind-hearted Kayak owner had to help paddle my videographer while he filmed.
     The Kayak business is owned by Diane Williams who has been living in Nigeria for 35 years. She operates from the Ikoyi River bank. She thought about how Lagos mostly sits on a coastal plain and yet under utilized. So she started the kayak business and in three years, she has recorded a steady rise of fun loving people coming to just paddle with friends and see the beauty of Lagos from a different view. Clients pay between 3,000 to 6,000 naira depending on how many hours they want to spend, and they must also book ahead to secure their Kayaking time. First timers get to learn the basics of Kayaking for a few minutes and they can go out on their own. Now that was a scary part for me, but Diane has never recorded any injury or death because clients are well kitted for the adventure.
     Despite the close proximity to the ocean, water sports and activities are rare in Lagos, but you can give this a shot. Just google "NothingToDoInLagos" and you are sure to find Diane.

Please click for video link as used by a client







Deeply scared here, but I just had to take one for the gram and ran out.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwa seeks to restore our forgotten folk-tale tradition

Rare Super Blood Moon By Midnight Today

Ending the long walk in the desert; A story of modern day slavery