Lagos No Horn Day - My Excuses

I woke up that morning, Wednesday, October 15, 2014, determined more than ever to observe the "Lagos No Horn Day."  

I drove out of my gate, my home is in a close, and you know how it is for those of us who live on the mainland and work on the Island, we have to leave very early, 5:20ish. But the gate to the close was still closed, how do I wake the sleeping guard? I thought of coming out to knock on his door, but me, I sabi fear o, I feel safer in the comfort of my car. I waited a few seconds, checked the time, every second in Eko counts, so I used the horn to wake him. Number 1.

Everything was going on smoothly and then they came again, yes, those ones in yellow buses, who feel once you drive past them, you will pick all of their passengers, I waited, ah ah, Oga use your church mind and shift na, I'm not gonna take your passengers, just shift make I pass. He refused, and so...... Number 2.

Now, I don't want to bore you, with long gist, but I met this other driver who just chose to stay in the middle of the road, on Eko bridge, he's neither here nor there, he just wants to be in the middle of the road and time the line that will move first before making up his mind. Well, I honked again to decide for him.....Number 3 abi?

Okay, then the traffic warden at stadium road, he just forgot his job and was on a call for a long time that I also had to remind him he was still on duty.

Then the ones who take morning walks on Bourdillon road, Ikoyi, I mean...the government was kind enough to build a pedestrian walkway for them, still they won't use it, do you really want me to trail behind them?

Now this one, you know how students like to walk in fives after school, gisting and forgetting that cars move on the road too. I did that years ago too, but now, I just want them to be more careful, and so I "honk" them back to reality.

A police man also made me lose my patience, imagine keeping us waiting in traffic, just because he was greeting someone. Hellooo, that's your duty post, I also need to get to mine.

I went to the National theatre to film on that day too, didn't know my way out, called on this guard several times but he  could not hear me until I honked.

I can go on and on to give so many reasons why I failed to keep to the "Lagos No Horn" day, but when I got home that day and reflected on it, I found out that in most of the scenarios above, if only I had waited for en extra ten seconds, there wouldn't have been any need to use the horn, yes, that;s true. 

What governor Babatunde Fashola did was not just to save the environment, or make us not to use a part of the car that we bought with our money, but just to exercise a little PATIENCE in all that we do. That's what I learnt.

Peace people!!

Source: Internet
Source: Internet
Source: Internet
Source: Internet

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tiwa seeks to restore our forgotten folk-tale tradition

Rare Super Blood Moon By Midnight Today

Ending the long walk in the desert; A story of modern day slavery